Saturday 1 February 2014

Lone Survivor, A Review

So yesterday I watched the movie 'Lone Survivor'. Although I initially wasn't really interested in watching it, still, I give it a try. Long story short, I'm not totally disappointed with it.

Based on the true story of Operation Red Wings, a failed mission by USA's Navy SEAL to capture and kill Taliban leader Ahmad Shah, the movie tells the story of the struggle of Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell after his team was compromised in the mission.

Anyway, even though I wasn't that disappointed with it, I really discourage younger viewer and those who can't stand strong languages to watch it. In fact, according to IMDB's parents' guide, the F-word reached a shocking 130 times in it.

But although I'm really disturbed with those cussings,  they only emphasise one aspect of horror that is the reality of war. As seen several times in this movie, war is merciless. Either you kill or be killed. And that unfortunately included civilians.

However, despite the cold, war environment, this movie have one aspect that really got my attention.
After his team was compromised, Luttrell must make his way to the US base by himself in a very bad condition. He would never have made it if he wasn't found by a local man.

And instead of handing Luttrell to the Taliban and save himself and his tribe, he insisted on nursing Luttrell until the navy can save him and risking the safety of the tribe.

This is important for me because, as someone born in an Islamic family with a very Islamic name, one of my fears is that I will have difficulties in entering western countries. Hopefully, this film will open the eyes of those who still think that Islam is identical with terrorism to the fact that not all muslims is bad. FIN


PS:
As a request from my mum, here's a quote from Margaret Thatcher.
"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. And watch your character, for it becomes your destiny. What we think, we become. "

No comments: