Friday 10 January 2014

Billy Elliot the Musical

In the past few days, I've been dragged into a new obsession.


Adapted from the film with the same name, Billy Elliot the Musical tells the story of a boy's dream on being a dancer despite the stereotype of a male dancer in that era, while his father and older brother struggled in the 80s UK miners' strike.

While I haven't seen the show myself, various browsing in YouTube and Google assures me that this is a show worth watching. Although, I have to warn you that the show, at least the original and the recorded soundtrack, has some strong language.

One of the factor that I makes me just wanted to go straight to London's West End, the theatre where Billy Elliot originally premiered, is the songs.

Composed by Sir Elton John, the musical scores are simply fabulous. Even though I've never seen the show as I said before, and even though English is not my native, somehow I can feel the general emotion within each songs. For example, every time I hear the song 'The Letter (reprise)', somehow I always felt like I wanted to cry.

Another factor is the accent. No offence to the natives of the Geordie accent, but it's simply unique. Since the first time I saw a performance of 'Electricity', I immediately fell in love with the accent. It's just... As Billy said in that song, 'I can't really explain it...'

And the last is choreography. From the videos I've seen in YouTube, the dances, especially Billy's, is so difficult, and totally great. How the choreographers managed to make a rage into an energetic tap dance is beyond my knowledge. That's why it's not really a surprise when I found out that the boys who played Billy were trained intensively for 6 months before they can play.

To sum it up, great show. Hope I can see it someday. And let this show to be an inspiration to others because as Michael and Billy said,

What the hell is wrong,
With expressing yourself?
What we need is in-div-id-ual-ity!

No comments: